Monday 21 January 2013

Messenger Bags

Eli loves his bag!


When I saw the tutorial for kids messenger bags (or satchel bags in Australia!) at Zaaberry I knew I wanted to make these my next project!

This is my prototype for Eli. The bear fabric on the flap is drill and is a fantastic weight for bags. I spied the bears waving at me from the remnant basket at Spotlight and picked it up for $2. I think the piece is big enough for at least another three bag flaps. I used a camel coloured quilting cotton for the rest of the bag, though I won't be using quilting cotton again. I reinforced the cotton fabric with interfacing, but found it to be a bit of a pain! With all the turning inside out and back again throughout the bag making process, the interfacing ended up a bit 'bubbly', as it came away from the cotton a little. This could probably be remedied by ironing it again to re-adhere it to the cotton fabric.


This is a fabulous sized bag for 2 - 5 year olds and the tutorial is easy to follow. I did make one alteration to the strap; I used half the width and simply sewed it up with right sides together, turned it right side out, ironed the seams and stitched down each length to reinforce. I also omitted the batting for the strap. I plan on making quite a few (with a variety of different flap fabrics) so that I have plenty on hand for birthday gifts as they arise during the year!




Adult sized messenger bag.
One of my nieces turned 18 in January and I thought she would love a messenger bag as a birthday gift. I used the tutorial at mmmcrafts for this one. As 2013 is the year of use-what-I-have, I had to stray from my original idea of a plain body and strap with a patterned flap. I had either brown or camel fabric for the body, but wanted to used a navy and white fabric for the flap. There was no way that I was going to put the two fabrics together, so I opted to use the navy print for the entire bag. I added a white applique flower to break up the print a little on the front flap.

This bag is put together differently to the child sized messenger bag. Both tutorials are clear and easy to follow, but I think I prefer the construction of the child sized bag (though this may change as I attempt to mass produce them for my 'gift' box!).

My photos are rubbish, but this bag is really lovely!

I used a brighter print (drill - as is the navy print - I wasn't going down the interfacing route again!) for the inside.

The little trees are quite adorable and add some colour that is a pleasant surprise when the bag flap is lifted. As this bag was for a girl (and and adult at that!) I added a pocket on the inside as well as the outside of the bag.

My niece loves it so I was extra pleased! I am looking forward to making some more of these. I think I'll try adding a magnetic snap to the flap and perhaps a zippered pocket inside.
Inner pocket


4 comments:

  1. These are such fun bags! And such a great idea to have some on hand for children's birthday gifts. That bear fabric is very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! My daughter loves totes and bags but doesn't have a messenger bag yet. After seeing how lovely yours turned out I might have to give it a go! Good tip about the drill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love!! You have a real knack for choosing fabrics that go well together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bags! I am yet to make one, but it is on my to do list...

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will always endeavour to reply. Thanks for visiting - I am truly delighted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...