Thursday 31 January 2013

Monstrous Beauty

Carpenter Star
Isn't this a beauty? This is the Rainbow Bee block requested by Emily for January. It's called a 'Carpenter Star' and is 18.5" unfinished. I am pleased with how it turned out (there is one place where the points don't quite meet up as they should, but it is passable!). This block ensured I spent a bit of time with the unpicker, as I did a few silly things along the way. Like sewing to the wrong side of the fabric. Or picking up two pieces and then sewing up the wrong side. This block sat disassembled on my cutting mat for a few nights as I slowly put it together, so it could tell you a few stories about the Barbies, trains and plastic play food in the play room/sewing room. It was all happening around this block during the day! Thankfully my children know that it is just not worth messing with my sewing, so my Carpenter Star happily coexisted with them for a while.

Having said that, I am glad to package it and send it off to Emily! I look forward to seeing her rainbow coloured Carpenter Star quilt.

I'm really enjoying being in a Bee. I am making blocks that I otherwise wouldn't and somehow always manage to find time to sew for others, just never for myself!

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jeneta!
    You are gifted :)
    Looks sunny & makes me think of warm
    days...as I sit here with the wind-chill
    warning of -25 with temps -10 wew!
    We had 12" of snow yesterday!
    Well, I will think of you when we have our warm season Smile :)
    Blessings~
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. We are certainly enjoying the sunny days here in Perth. 12" of snow! Wow - my children would love to see snow!!

      Delete
  2. love both the block and the fabric xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. I'm not sure how it happened, but in my small stash I seem to have more orange than most colours! Deep down I must really love it without realising it!!

      Delete
  3. Looks awesome Jeneta! Thank you , I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very effective design, I love it! Love the various orange fabrics too. You put me to shame ... all I've been capable of in the evenings this week is turning on the TV. Not sure if it's the heat or the last few days of school holidays sapping my energy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great design isn't it - not mine of course! It would be nice to design something original one day. Can you see the fabric that is actually oranges? I like that one! Naw - I'm only doing it because it's for someone else!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I was going to comment on the "oranges" fabric, but then noticed so many other lovely designs that I couldn't single it out, LOL!!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous. You did a great job with the block, and I love the fabrics you have used. Reading all your swap posts makes me want to join a swap. Looks so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy them. I have made some lovely friends and have made blocks that I would otherwise admire but not actually make. Being part of a quilting bee is great - a whole quilt top of blocks all at once. Some would ask why I wouldn't just make all the blocks myself, but I think every mother knows that it only works that way in theory (as the washing pile is continuous, children are always hungry and the list of things to do just gets longer, not shorter!). What are you working on at the moment?

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness! This is beautiful! Love the size! Why aren't your posts showing up in my Google reader? :(

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will always endeavour to reply. Thanks for visiting - I am truly delighted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...