Tuesday 1 October 2013

Scrap Bag Challenge - Quilt Reveal!

Well, this is it! It's such a great feeling to have this WiP finished. It started at the beginning of the year and I fully intended to have it finished well before now, but other things kept popping up! I can't say it turned out exactly how I envisaged, but it's pretty close to what I had in my head. The process was an interesting one, as I had originally intended to use this method as shown by Kati from 'from the blue chair'. Kati uses Pellon® 542 Stick-N-Washaway™which is not available in Australia (well, now that I've finished this quilt it probably is!). If I was thinking ahead I would have checked the product availability before cutting out all those 1 3/4" squares!! I thought about using a lightweight fusible interfacing as seen here, but I thought it might make the quilt a bit too stiff, particularly as it is, hang on - I forgot to measure it! It is now with Christine from Once Upon A Quilt, but it was roughly 40" (100cm)  x 30" (75cm).

So, I decided to do it the difficult, tedious way and piece all the little squares together one at a time. I started with my original sketch:
After a few late colour changes and some voluntary colouring by Zoe I labelled each row to make sure that I didn't get all mixed up.

As I added a square to each row I put a dot in the relevant square so that I knew where I was up to. This worked well until I was about two thirds of the way finished. The rows were getting so long that it taking longer to check that I wasn't putting the same fabric next to consecutive rows. Up until now I wasn't bothered with sewing the rows in numerical order, but the time had come when it was much easier to!
As I began sewing up the complete rows (it's quite tricky sewing with your fingers crossed!) I thought I'd pulled it off until I noticed that row 17 was missing a square. In order for the butterfly's 'body' to align it had to be pushed to the right. A bit of unpicking to rectify it and I was back on track.
I opted for some dense shadow quilting in the background and some softer curves for the wings. A friend kindly donated the backing fabric - the perfect colour for the butterfly and the pink polka dot binding.
I think my favourite part of this quilt is the curly proboscis! As the quilt is small I added pocket corners for the option of hanging it.
Throw it in the washing machine (with a couple of colour catchers!) and then in the dryer (for that lovely crinkliness!) and there it is!

Editor's Note: If you decide to bid on this cutie please note that the quilting and the points are not perfect!

Linking up with Quokka Quilts


         

28 comments:

  1. I never guessed it would be a butterfly! It's fabulous!! Well done for figuring out all the layout and piecing system. I love how you've quilted it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a wonderful project for scraps! well done, Jeneta ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SPECTACULAR!! I bet the lucky recipient will be VERY, VERY happy with it. You've put so much work into it, well done - not sure I would have had that much patience!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The butterfly quilt looks fantastic. Well put together Jeneta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butterfly quilt looks fantastic. Well put together Jeneta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! this is really a stunning quilt! I love how all of the colors are perfectly placed, and the quilting just makes it really pop!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  7. AND....what a reveal!! Your quilt, Jeneta, is quite simply stunning!! Everything about it; from your clever butterfly design, to the dancing fabrics that pop, to the itsy bitsy squares, to the binding, and to finish it off perfectly...your quilting!! Simply sublime!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work! These colors are so delightful and the design is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely! I am amazed at the creativity of your butterfly quilt. I agree, the colours are delightful as well as the design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That was quite a process. Great job in bringing the vision to life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! That's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So impressed with your design process! Congratulations...this is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I can't even express how much I love this!!!! So fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my goodness! That is gorgeous. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! AMAZING! FANTASTIC! AWESOME!
    (Can you tell that I LOVE this!!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, totally love this! And the quilting is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that's some amount of work but totally worth it. It's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!!! That is gorgeous! Love love love :).

    Cheers,
    Jenn from Mellycoddle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, this is such a beautiful quilt, Janeta. I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an eye candy! Thanks for sharing! Sooooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! That is amazing.
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will always endeavour to reply. Thanks for visiting - I am truly delighted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...