Tuesday 11 September 2012

Popcorn Tree


Spring came early this year and the fruit trees I planted in our backyard last year are all blossoming. The nectarine, peach and apricot trees inspired this popcorn tree art activity.

While it does require some simple preparation beforehand, this activity is simple and looks great with its three dimensional 'blossoms'. Eli loves anything that involves glue and was very proud of his tree.

I popped some popcorn in a brown paper bag in the microwave (1/3 cup for 1 minute or until the popping slows down to 1 - 2 pops per second) and then shook it around in a freezer bag with a few drops of food colouring. I won't bother with the food colouring the next time we do this, as the colour is barely noticeable!


After painting a tree shape on an A4 piece of cardboard (I bought a pack of 10 at my local $2 shop, though the inside of a cereal box also works well!) and letting it dry we were ready to go.

Glue sticks aren't up to the task when it comes to popcorn trees, so get out the pva glue and plop it all over the tree. I gave Eli free reign with a small, squeezy bottle of pva glue and there was very little clean up to be done. On with the popcorn and voila! Another piece of art for the display wall.



1 comment:

  1. How easy, and it looks really effective. You're such a great Mamma to do all these crafts with your kids :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will always endeavour to reply. Thanks for visiting - I am truly delighted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...