Thursday 9 May 2013

Starburst and More Bags!

I really enjoy being part of a quilting bee! I can't wait to show you my quilt top put together from when I was Queen Bee back in December. Oh, okay - here's a progress sneak peak!
I'm just waiting for two more blocks and then I can start sashing these beauties with black.
Reverse Rainbow Starburst for Sharon
Last month I sent this beautiful block to Sharon. I love the design she chose and particularly enjoyed making this one. Each Bee member chose a block from Sharon's 12 nominated colours (I chose bright pink - obviously - as I have lots of pink in my stash. Funny; I don't think of myself as a pink person. Apparently I am not a yellow person, as I have practically no yellow fabric!). I have put this on my list of quilts to make. One day.

We had three birthdays to wrap gifts for over the last 6 weeks. All of them were older children (well, over the age of 8!). My go to birthday gift at the moment is a custom made messenger bag (that sounds pretty special, doesn't it!), so two girly bags and one boy bag was gifted.

Denim Girly Bag and Retro Boy Bag
It was the first time that I made the main body of the bag from denim. I really liked it, though I neglected to pre wash the denim (tip: pre wash denim fabric!) and ended up with blue fingertips by the time the bag was put together. I washed one of the denim bags after its completion (thank you colour catchers!) and then spent a good twenty minutes ironing it so that it was wrinkle free (another reason to pre wash denim fabric!). I ran out of time with the second denim bag, so Zoe wrote a note to her friend who was to receive it explaining why two colour catcher sheets were included with the bag! I should volunteer to iron it after its first wash...

13 comments:

  1. Black and white quilt is going to look awesome! Love the messenger bags - your birthday gifts are always so special :-) I've never, ever been given a colour catcher as a present!!! (I bet not many other people have either!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a hint for your next birthday?...

      Delete
    2. Ooooh, yes please!! hahahaha!!!

      Delete
  2. Love your Messenger bags, what a great gift idea. What pattern are you using? love my pink block too. I see you are still missing two blocks :( if you want me to make another to help let me know. hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I used a tutorial for a kids messenger bag from zaaberry and simply made it bigger, added an internal zippered pocket and sewed up the strap differently (big long tube turned inside out!). I really ought to pop a tutorial on my blog that removes any thinking whatsoever. Goodness knows I've used so many tutorials from other people's blogs that I should give back a little! Rose has made two more blocks (thanks so much for offering!). I'm kind of glad I haven't been able to put this quilt top together yet, as it has given me a chance to clear a few other things first! Did you measure my starburst block? I'm thinking I might sew up another one for you and leave it untrimmed.

      Delete
  3. Oh the messenger bags look fabulous - great birthday gifts!!

    Your Bee blocks are looking great so far too! Love the pop of colour in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy! The messenger bags have been well received, so I think I'll keep making them until everyone has one and then move on to something else. I LOVE being in a bee!!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see your quilt top together -- it is going to be a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--that quilt top is going to be amazing! And I LOVE the messenger bags. What great gifts. I forgot to get gifts for 3-yr-old twins whose party is tomorrow and I'm thinking of whipping them up little sundresses...if I stay up until midnight that is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww - thanks Kelli! Sundresses for twins would be adorable (though, yes, they will extend your bedtime!!). Zaaberry have a fantastic tutorial for kids messenger bags. They are the perfect size for three year olds!

      Delete
  6. All of your work is wonderful!
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
    Ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Esther. I enjoyed a visit to your blog and am now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your messenger bags and your bee blocks!! Wow! You've been so busy! Can't wait for that tutorial ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will always endeavour to reply. Thanks for visiting - I am truly delighted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...