Thursday 29 May 2014

umbrella trimmings

On Monday evening I noticed a blog post from Rachaeldaisy at Blue Mountain Daisy about Umbrella Prints Trimmings. I had never heard of Umbrella Prints before (let alone their trimmings!) and learned that they (Amy & Carly) are an Australian company that produces a variety of organic, printed fabric.

In 2009 Umbrella Prints began their annual competition; participants are challenged to create something from the little pieces of their printed fabric they call Trimmings. Hence, the Umbrella Prints Trimmings competition. Rachaeldaisy used her little packet of Trimmings to create these beautiful fabric wall vases. So creative!

I was so excited about the idea of creating something - anything at all - from pieces of fabric selected by someone other than me that I ordered a Trimmings packet. With a 9am Friday deadline for entering a finished project in the Umbrella Trimmings competition I didn't think I would have the opportunity to enter this year. Until my postman delivered my packet today. Today being Thursday.

I discovered my Trimmings in the letter box just before I started hanging out the washing, so I thought this photo was appropriate.
I ordered a blue Trimmings packet.

After a few more chores I gave myself some time to get creative with my Trimmings. Want to know what I made? See if you can guess.
Left - Lovely wool blend fabric - $1 at the op shop. Right - Trimmings project inspiration
Okay - enough clues.
It's a stick carrier! You know, for the piles of sticks that every young child insists on bringing home from each visit to the park.
Eli has already given it the thumbs up.

Lily trying it on for size and comfort!
Erm...that one's probably a tad too big.
Want to know more about the Umbrella Trimmings competition? Perhaps you'd like to peruse the Umbrella Prints website.

Edit: Have a look at all the creative ideas that have been made from Umbrella Prints Trimmings on their 2014 competition Pinterest Board. Amazing!

5 comments:

  1. what a good idea .. he looks like an archer with his arrows in his quiver xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! I imagine Eli bringing home lots of stitcks now!! The blue trimmings look wonderful against the dark wool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant Jeneta!! I love Eli's stick carrier. I love the fabrics.....such a creative and clever idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh . . . . cutting it fine, Jeneta!
    I am a stick gatherer . . so I can relate to the need for one of these. Love what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant!! Love the stick carrier :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will always endeavour to reply. Thanks for visiting - I am truly delighted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...